Wednesday, April 06, 2005

On life and news and whatnot

So, I've been informed by multiple people that I have let a month go by without update. I suppose something has happened in that time worthy of note? ;-) Well, if nothing else, my acceptance to the PhD program in electrophysics at USC is worth a post... But, I am not of course really looking for a news blog. If people think that that would be a worth while thing, please post, and perhaps I will move towards that system.
What are some interesting issues that have been currently happening?

Terri Schivo of course was a rather major issue that I never fully sided on. On one hand, we do live in a culture of death (a coined phrased by the late pope), and anything that can encourage life is probably a good thing. On the other hand, we should not put too high a value on extending life here on earth for as long as possible. Our culture is also afraid of death, and seems to use any means possible to avoid it. This too seems improper. But, on top of all of that, it seems that the courts were making the proper decisions based on current laws regarding spousal authority, and it seems that politicians should not be trying to over power the law for "special" cases. So...I don't know, seems a rather complicated solution. Anyone who gives a simple answer probably is not thinking carefully about the issue.

The pope has died. He was a very good man and the world was blessed by his work. It will be interesting to see who the church chooses to walk in his very large shadow.

The economy is not doing so hot. Oil is at all time highs, hurting many people financially. The stock market has dropped by 5-10% this year already. Social security is a big mess, but with our short sighted and self-centered society, I do not know if we have the back bone to fix it. It will hurt, but for the good of our nation and our children something major needs to be done. It is instances like this that make me happy Bush is so dogmatic. ;-) And on top of all of this, the housing market in LA looks like it is finally cooling. Whether this will lead to an actual Drop in prices has yet to be seen, but if interest rates continue to rise, I would not be surprised to see that happen. And, I wouldn't be too sad if it did. Maybe I could afford one then... ;-)

The DNC is having some pretty major internal fights. I will be interested to see what is the outcome.

Google has come out with yet another amazingly cool feature. Go to their www.maps.google.com page, and type in an address. Now, go up to the right corner and press satillite. Now ooh and ahh over their great genius and awesomeness. Repeat at will.

How does one encourage rational thought about an issue while at the same time not minimizing emotional responses? It seems a tough line to walk. I often find myself putting too much of an emphasis on a rational argument for an action. But, I know people are irrational and we should value emotions and often it is more loving to support those desires... I seem to do badly at choosing between those responses... I guess just another example of how badly I love people.

Ok. More later...sometime. Go under the mercy.

1 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Something I've thought about emotion and rationality is that rationality itself is based on 'emotion'. Rationality is based on a desire for goodness, it in fact assumes goodness.

Thus, in this sense, rationality is itself irrational, it does not give a reason for itself. If you deny goodness, then there is no reason for rationality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home